Βιογραφικό Σημείωμα Δρ. Κυριάκος Βερεσιέ
NAME: Kyriacos Loizou Veresies
HOME ADDRESS: 9 Roumelis str. Larnaca, 6036, CYPRUS.
TELEPHONE: 00357 24 620372 / 00357 24 659728 / 00357 99 659 659
TELEFAX: 00357 24 620274
DATE OF BIRTH: 30th June 1951
MARITAL STATUS: Married, 2 children
LANGUAGES: Greek / English / Bulgarian / Russian
1963 - 1967: Higher Technical School, Nicosia, CYPRUS
1967: Diploma of Higher Technical School.
1967 - 1969: Institute of Advanced Studies, Nicosia, Cyprus
1969: Certification of matriculation
1970 - 1971: Academy of Social Sciences and Administration, Sofia, BULGARIA .
1971: Diploma in Social Sciences.
1971 - 1972: Institute for Foreign Students, Sofia, Bulgaria.
1972 - 1979: Medical Academy of Sofia, Bulgaria.
1979: Awarded the Bachelor of Medicine Degree. Physician, General Practitioner.
1979 - 1983: Medical Academy of Sofia . Bulgaria. Specializing at the Scientific Institute of Neurology, Psychiatry and Neurosurgery -Neurological clinic.
1983: Awarded the Doctor of Medicine ( M. D. ) degree in Neurology.
1983 - 1985: Specializing at the Scientific Institute of Neurology Psychiatry and Neurosurgery - Psychiatric clinic. Awarded the Doctor of Medicine ( M. D. ) degree in Psychiatry.
1995 - 1996: Preparatory Course in Family Therapy Diploma Tavistock Clinic, London.
1997: PhD Degree (Doctor). Higher Medical Institute Sofia, Bulgaria. Subject of the Dissertation: "Psychosocial and Psychopathological presuppositions for forming high risk behavior, leading to drug abuse among the Cyprus youth."
1997 - 1999: Diploma in Family Therapy. Tavistock Clinic, London Program.
1997- 2000: Master Public Sector Management (MPSM) Cyprus International Institute of Management. CIIM/Harvard University Program.
2002: National Association of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Counseling ( NAADAC) USA. Licensed Drug Addicted Counselor.
2003: National Association of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Counseling ( NAADAC) USA. Licensed Drugs Educator Provider ( No. 408)
1985 - 1998: Mental Health Services, Ministry of Health, Republic of Cyprus.
1985 - 1986: Medical Officer A' Psychiatric Hospital, Nicosia.
1986 - 1989: Medical Officer A', Psychiatric Wing, Nicosia General Hospital.
1989 - 2004: Psychiatric Wing, Larnaca General Hospital.
2003 - 2004: Ministry of Health- EU- Cyprus Drugs Twinning Project Leader
2004 - 2006: Mental Health Services – Scientific Coordinator Therapeutic House "PYXIDA", Deftera, Nicosia
2006: Director – VERESIES CLINIC, Larnaca- Cyprus
2006: Associate Professor – European University of Cyprus
2008 - 2010: Part time Medical Officer- Mental Health Services, Larnaca- Famagusta
1986 - 1989: Founder of the first self-help groups for alcoholics, Nicosia.
1986 - 1989: Founder of the Association of the patients with Multiple Sclerosis, Nicosia. Member of the Board.
1987 - 1989: Founder of the "Association for Support of Mental Health," Nicosia. Member of the Board.
1989 - 1993: Member of the National Committee for Prevention of use and spread of Drugs. Chairman of the Committee of Research and Epidemiology.
1989 - 1992: Provider of the Self –help groups for alcoholics and drug addicted persons, Larnaca
1989 - 2004: Founder of the Association "Mental Health for All", Larnaca. Vice - President of the Board.
1992 - 2007: Founder of the Open Therapeutic Community for Treatment of Drug Addicted Persons "I TOLMI", Larnaca. President of the Board (1992-1999) Scientific Coordinator. 1992- 2007
1992 - 1999: Founder of the Open Line for Psychological Support ( 09- 659 659 ). Director.
1992 - 2009: Founder of the LIONS movement in Bulgaria. Coordinator of the LIONS CLUBS INTERNATIONAL for Bulgaria. Coordinator for Europe- Lions Quest Program for Drugs prevention.
1994 - 2010: Founder of the Center for Education about Drugs and Treatment of Drug Addicted Persons. (KENTHEA), Larnaca. Scientific Director. Member of the Board.
1995 - 2004: Expert on Epidemiology, Pompidou Group, Council of Europe.
1996 - 2010: Founder of the "Association of Supporting People with Alzheimer". Scientific Counselor
1997 - 2010: Founder of the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership Against Substance Abuse (EMPASA) (Non-for profit organization of the volunteer organizations of countries as Malta, Portugal, Italy, France, Tunis, Egypt, Israel, Greece, Cyprus, Bulgaria, established in Nicosia, Cyprus in February 1997).
1997 - 2001: Secretary of the Board
2001 - 2010: Executive Director of ( Euro-meditteranean partnerhip Against Substance Abuse) EMPASA
2000 - 2007: Member of the Cyprus Antidrugs Council.
2002 - 2010: Founder of the "Association of Supporting People with Epilepsy" Scientific Counselor
2004 - 2008: Member of the Management Board of EMCDDA, Lisbon. EU
2004 - 2005: Member of the Budgetary Committee of the Board of EMCDDA, Brussels, EU.
2005 - 2007: Member of the Bureau of the Board of EMCDDA, Lisbon.
2009: Founder and Chairman of the Preventive Centres MESOGEIOS, Larnaca, Cyprus
2010: Scientific Director of the Therapeutic Program MESOGEIOS. Larnaca, Cyprus
Prevention of the mental health in a community level, treatment and rehabilitation of mental patients, alcoholics and drug addicted persons. Epidemiology and research of Social Attitudes towards social phenomena as, health and illness , mental health, drug addiction, AIDS e.t.a. Implementation of new methods of approach of the ideas of Social Psychiatry, according to the culture environment of Cyprus. Involving of volunteers and help them in the fight against drugs.
Professional Trainings and Certifications
- 1. WHO Workshop about AIDS. Athens University [ 1990]
- 2. Workshop on Drugs. Oregon University
- 3. WHO Workshop on Drug Abuse Policies and Programs in South Eastern European Countries. Sofia, Bulgaria, 
- 4. WHO Workshop about the Research Priorities in the Prevention and Control of AIDS. Cairo, Egypt 1992.
- 5. Training Program in the Greek Therapeutic Communities, Greece
- 6. Training Seminar for the short dynamic psychotherapies, Harvard Medical School 
- 7. WHO Seminar on the Rational Use of Over the Counter Drugs, Nicosia
- 8. Cyprus Introductory Clinical Course in Family Therapy. Tavistock and Portman NHS Trust, Nicosia. 
- 9. Workshop of the United Nations High Commission for Refugees and New York University about Prevention, Diagnosis and Treatment of Substance Abuse , Nicosia 
- 10.Training Program of the International Visitors Program of the United States Information Agency: “Drug Education and Prevention Programs”, United States 
- 11.Training Program in Addictions- Athens University [1996-1999]
- 12.Training in ``Addiction Counseling Competencies: The Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes of Professional Practice`` Program of the University of California. Athens [1998-1999]
- 13.Training in Addiction Counseling. Sofia University( 2001-2002)
- 13.Training in Drug Addiction Counseling- Bercia University, Ovensboro Kentaky, USA 2001.
- 14.Training in Drug Addiction Counseling. Fulbright Commission- Institute of Continuing Education – KENTHEA, Nicosia ( 2003-2004).
Research Experience /Principal Investigator
- 1. Knowledge, Attitudes, Believes and Practices about AIDS. Survey among 3000 Cypriot High School Adolescence. Study organized by the WHO. Nicosia 1991.
- 2. Knowledge, Attitudes, Believes and Practices about DRUGS. Survey among 3000Cypriot High School Adolescence. Study organized by the National Committee for prevention of spread and use of Drugs in Cyprus. Nicosia, 1992.
- 3. Knowledge and Attitudes of the students of INERCOLLEGE about Alcohol. Survey among 456 students. Larnaca, 1994.
- 4. Attitudes and believes of the teachers of the secondary education about drugs and drug addicted. Survey among 244 teachers. Larnaca, 1995.
- 5. Attitudes and oppinions of Welfare and Health Personell about Psychosocial Phenomena. A survey among 677 persons. Nicosia, 1994.
- 6. Broken families supported by the Department of Social Welfare Services. A survey covering 467 broken families.Nicosia,1994.
- 7. Leisure time of Secondary School Students. A survey among 2800 students, Nicosia, 1994.
- 8. Problems and consequences for families that take care of a member suffering from chronic mental illness. A survey among 750 families, Nicosia, 1994.
- 9. European Students Survey on Alcohol and Drugs(ESPAD). A survey among 2450 students organized by the Swidish Inistitute for Alcohol and Drug Addiction and the Pompidou Group of the Council of Europe. Nicosia 1997.
- 10. European Students Survey on Alcohol and Drugs(ESPAD). A survey among 6000 students organized by the Swidish Inistitute for Alcohol and Drug Addiction and the Pompidou Group of the Council of Europe. Nicosia 1999.
- 11. Knowledge, Attitudes, Believes and Practices about DRUGS. Survey among 3000 Cypriot High School Adolescence. Study organized by the Youth Board of Cyprus for prevention of spread and use of Drugs in Cyprus. Nicosia, 1999.
- 12. The Young Cypriot Prisoner. Survey organized by KENTHEA, Youth Board General Prisons, among 31 young prisoners. Nicosia 1999.
- 13. Pancyprian epidemiology study about the psychosocial problems and Health W.H.O. Project. Nicosia, 1999.
- 14. Social intervention program in four Cypriot villages for prevention of drug use in Cyprus. UNOPS program/research. Larnaca, 2000-2001.
- 15. The social problems of the youth of Sotera Village. Larnaca, 2000.
- 16. The psychological consequeses of the children of the persons living under the Turkish ocupation in North Cyprus, Larnaca 2001.
- 17. European Students Survey on Alcohol and Drugs(ESPAD). A survey among 3000 students organized by the Swidish Inistitute for Alcohol and Drug Addiction and the Pompidou Group of the Council of Europe. Nicosia 2003.
- 18. "Knowledge, Attitudes Believes and Practices about Drugs among all Cypriot students of First Gymnasium Class. Nicosia, 2004.
- 19. European Students Survey on Alcohol and Drugs(ESPAD). A survey among 3000 students organized by the Swidish Inistitute for Alcohol and Drug Addiction and the Pompidou Group of the Council of Europe. Nicosia 2007.
- 1. VERESIES K. Our experience of the Self-Help Groups for Alcoholics and Drug Addicted Persons. Neurology, Psychiatry and Neurosurgery. Sofia, 1.1988, 90-91.
- 2. VERESIES K. Alcoholism and Alcoholic Desease. Ta nea mas, Larnaca, 2, 1988, 22-26.
- 3. VERESIES K. Drug addiction, the behavior that makes the life difficult at house. Larnaca, Ta nea mas, 23, 1992, 33-37.
- 4. VERESIES K. Using of the Open Line for Psychological Support for supporting drug addicted persons when they are in need, Larnaca, Ta Nea mas, 28, 1994, 45-47.
- 5. VERESIES K. Voluntarism and the role of KENTHEA for prevention of drug abuse and treament of drug addicted persons, Larnaca, 30, 1994, 46-48.
- 6. VERESIES K. Pavlakis A. Illegal addictive substances among the students of lyceums Cyprus, Nicosia, Iatriki Kypros, 3, 1996, 23-29.
- 7. VERESIES K. Pavlakis A. Psychoactive substances and the students of Cyprus, Athens, Engephalos, 33, 1996, 39-45.
- 8. VERESIES K. Editor of the three-monthly Magazine "POS EISAI"- KENTHEA
Books / Brochures
- 1. Knowledge, Attitudes Believes and Practices of Adolescence about AIDS, Nicosia, 1992. Edition of the National AIDS Committee (1367 pages).
- 2. Knowledge, Attitudes, Believes and Practices of Adolescence about Drugs, Nicosia, 1993. Edition of the National Committee for Prevention of the spread and use of Drugs in Cyprus. (350 pages).
- 3. Leisure time of the Cypriot students, Nicosia 1994. Edition of the National Committee of the Year of the Family (210 pages).
- 4. Attitudes and Believes of the students of INTERCOLEGE about alcohol, Larnaca, 1995 (135 pages).
- 5. Experience of a five year study for the effectiveness of the Prevention Programs against Drugs in the Secondary schools of Larnaca, 1996 (46 pages).
- 6. Drugs in Cyprus- A challenge. 256 pages.(1999).
- 7. Alcoholism in Cyprus. 23 pages.(1999)
- 8. Parents lets speak to our children, BOOK 1 ( 48 Pages) (2002)
- 9. Parents lets speak to our children, BOOK 2 ( 96 Pages) (2003)
- 10.Parents lets speak to our children, BOOK 3( 96 Pages) (2004)
- 11. Alcohol addiction ( book- 16 pages) 2008
- 12. How to treat Marijuana addiction ( Book) ( 64 pages) 2009